Friday, July 23, 2010

Black Beans -- pressure cooker style

This recipe is FREAKING GOOD.

I first tasted them when I lived in Draper. The moment the first spoonful touched my lips, my life was forever altered. I later got the recipe from a cooking class I attended in Park City. (FYI, those cooking classes are FANTASTIC, and are held at Park City at No Place Like Home (1685 Bonanza Drive.) Since then, it's been a FAVORITE of mine. A few people have asked for this recipe, so here it is for your enjoyment. You will need a pressure cooker, because I don't know how to make it otherwise... or else you can figure out how to cook it for the few days normal beans take.

Frijoles Negros --- a Friderici family recipe
1 16 oz black beans (not pre-cooked)
1 16 oz package smoked bacon, cooked and diced
1/2 large yellow onion, diced
1/4 green pepper, diced
3 large garlic cloves, finely diced
2.5 oz pepperoni (approx. 35 slices), finely diced
5 Tbsp bacon grease
2 1/2 tablespoons powdered chicken bouillon, or to taste (I like to use the Knorr Caldo con sabor de Pollo one. Tastes fantastic.)
8 cups water (can substitute 8 cups chicken stock for the bouillon and water)
1 lime
1/8 teaspoon Italian seasoning
1/4 teaspoon black pepper
2 large tomatoes, pureed
couple dashes of Worcestershire sauce
3 dried chile de arbol peppers

Pick through the beans and wash thoroughly. THIS IS IMPORTANT. No matter how clean your beans look, I have always found a rock in them. It's cheaper to just do this step instead of replacing someone's crown. In a large pressure cooker, cook the bacon, and drain it on paper towels. Reserve 5 tablespoons of bacon grease in the pressure cooker. While the bacon is cooking, I will use a food processor and mince the pepperoni pretty finely (not into a mash --- you want some sort of texture) and chop up the onions and green pepper. For the garlic, I just use one of those garlic presses -- just so much easier than trying to chop the crap out of it. By the time that's done, the bacon is usually done. I'll just dump most of the grease out, leaving enough to cook the stuff I've chopped, and put all that in on medium heat. After letting the bacon drain for a bit, I throw that in the food processor and mince it up about the size of bacon bits. After that mix is pretty much cooked, I'll dump the bacno back in, and add about 6 cups of the water to get it more soupy (so I don't burn anything). I'll add the beans in as well, and puree the tomatoes in the food processor after the bacon's out (why dirty anything else), and just put the rest of the ingredients in. I'll bring it all to a boil, then gently place the chile de arbol peppers on top of everything (so I don't have to go hunting for it after they're cooked --- you take them out when it's done; they're just for added flavoring). When it's cooking, I'll put the pressure cooker lid on, and cook for between 1 1/4 hours to 1 1/2 hours. REMEMBER when the pressure cooker has fully pressurized, to turn the heat DOWN to low. Once I forgot this... and ended up with Charred Bean Mush. I don't recommend trying that recipe. The beans are done when they're soft, so if they are crunchy, turn them back on and re-pressurize the cooker.
I LOVE serving them soup-style, with some homemade pico de gallo salsa and some sour cream. This is one of my top favorites, and I make this about once a month.

No comments:

Post a Comment