Tuesday, August 17, 2010

Taco Soup--- a Jones family favorite

I like to multi-task. Right now I'm on my way to a wedding rehearsal barbecue dinner. Now don't panic: I'm not driving. Like I'd blog and drive. And I'm still trying to figure out what exactly we're rehearsing. Especialy when the bride told me she's wearing a baggy shirt, shorts, and flip-flops. And growing up, we used to call that particular type of footwear 'thongs'. After a rather embarrassing encounter, I now call them flip-flops (though my instinct is still to call them thongs). I hate when people change vernacular on me.

Well that was a tangent. This was a recipe my mom made us because it was so darned good and so darned fast. You basically chuck everything in a big pot and heat it up. What could be more attractive about a dish? And it's fairly healthy (at least healthier than, say, a cheeseburger and fries). This is her version:

Taco Soup
a Jones family recipe

1 lb hamburger, ground
1/2 medium onion, diced
1/2 green pepper, diced
4 14 ounce cans stewed diced tomatoes
2 cans kidney beans, drained and rinsed
1 can whole kernel corn, not drained
1/2 packet taco seasoning
A couple pinches of Italian seasoning
1 Tbsp salsa
Sour cream
Grated cheddar cheese
Sliced black olives
Tortilla chips


In a big pot, brown the ground beef. Then add the chopped onions and green pepper and cook until the onions start to turn transparent. Then add the tomatoes, beans, corn, and seasonings. Cook it until it simmers. Look! it's ready to eat. When serving, add sour creamcheese, olives, and/or crushed chips, whatever your heart's dearest wish is. Beware: you'll probably want seconds.

I'm almost to my barbecue.

No comments:

Post a Comment